Cherry bakewell for breakfast? Don’t mind if I do! This glorious granola recipe was discovered almost by accident…
The winter blues were hitting hard and I wanted to liven up my breakfast through a bowl of my own homemade granola. I loved the idea of being able to mix and match my favourite cereal toppings to create the perfect brekkie. However, choosing the right topping combination was a task and a half. From berries to cherries, coconut flakes to chocolate chips. It seemed impossible to choose between all the different varieties on offer. Knowing full well that I didn’t have all day to stand in the supermarket aisle, I quickly scooped up a bag of Whitworths mix ‘n’ bake Dark Choc Cherry and boy am I glad I did.
- 1kg jumbo rolled oats
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 250g honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 100g dried cherries
- 100g dried cranberries
- 50g raisins
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- OR swap the above for 3 bags of Whitworths mix ‘n’ bake Dark Choc Cherry
- 150g flaked almonds
- Mix the vegetable oil, maple syrup, honey, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add the jumbo rolled oats and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop the mixture onto a lightly greased baking tray. Spread as thinly and evenly as possible. Use an extra baking tray if necessary.
- Bake at 130°C in a fan assisted oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Turn the oats about half way through.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Use a spatula to break up the granola and transfer into a suitable bowl or container.
- Finally, add the toppings and stir thoroughly. Store in an air-tight container to keep fresh. Enjoy with a splash of milk or spoonful of yoghurt.
And that’s it! A simple a way to homebake your very own granola. The beauty of making your own is that you can tailor it to your exact preferences and you’ll always know exactly what’s in it. As well as being cheap and easy to make, you’ll also find that it lasts much longer than your average supermarket pack.
What’s your go-to breakfast of choice? Let me know in the comments below!
Follow me on: